a member of Churches
Together in Tring
A History of St. Peter & St. Paul Church
The Manor of Tring (Treunge) is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086. It lies on Akeman Street a Roman road. Its Mansion to the south of the church was designed by Christopher Wren and later owned by Nathaniel Rothschild. From 1630 to 1650 Lawrence Washington, great-grandfather of George Washington, first President of the United States lived in the town.
The church of St Peter and St Paul stands in the centre of the town off the High Street on level ground. A low brick wall about 1 metre high totally encloses the church and its graveyards to the front and rear of the church. The third graveyard to the north of the church opens onto a car park to the west and has no wall but is bounded by the high wall of the former vicarage to the east. Inside the west wall is planted a yew hedge, which is kept trimmed, a number of gravestones, footstones and loose kerbstones which had once been fitted with iron railings, lie on the ground between the hedge and the wall. It is assumed that the railings were removed during the 1940's. About 1½ metres inside the east wall, a row of trees is spaced out at about 2½ to 4 metre intervals. The southern graveyard also contains a number of individual trees, some of which are close to, or intrude on, gravestones. A hedge lies inside the southern wall, which runs along the High Street. The northern graveyard has a few individual trees and the open graveyard next to the car park also has a number of individual trees. Details of the various graves can be found by clicking here.
The War Memorial, which is situated on Church Square (aka Zebra Square) in front of the church, is thought to be the first in the country to be erected to the memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War between 1914 and 1918. It was funded by public subscription and dedicated in November 1918. Later the names of those who died in the Second World War were added.
The first incumbent of Tring Parish Church is recorded in the year 1214. The current Anglican Church dates mainly from the 15 th century and is built from local flint and Totternhoe stone. To the north of the church is Sutton Court, built in Tudor style in 1825 as the vicarage and now in private hands. It has a fine brick and stone arched entrance at the end of Church Yard. A number of cottages in Church Yard, which once belonged to the church, are now in private hands.