a member of Churches
Together in Tring
A History of All Saints
The original church of Long Marston was to the west of the village, at the end of chapel lane and was pulled down except for its embattled tower, in 1883. The church probably dates back to the twelfth century but when it was pulled down the oldest remaining part was from the 14th, century consisting of a Nave, Chancel, south porch and west Tower. When originally built the church had a high pitched roof but this was changed during repairs in the 16th century to a flat pitched one when also the final stage of the tower was built. Architects recommended in 1881 that the site should be abandoned as the church was in a dangerous state due to use of unseasoned oak in the roof and saturation of the foundations by water from lack of gutters and the mote on the northern side.
The present church was built on the north side of the village at a cost of £4000, on land given by the then lord of the manor, Lord Rothschild. The new building was built of stone in a Gothic style, using parts of the old church, including in the north aisle, fifteenth-century piscina and two fourteenth-century windows. The clustered columns, high moulded bases and organ came from Tring Church. The columns at Tring church were replaced by the Victorians as they considered that they were not strong enough.
The new church was consecrated in 1883 but was left unfinished until 1888 due to lack of funds. A church tower on the west side of the church was planed but not built.
In 1898 Lord Rothschild gave to the parish the new cemetery.
In 1906 the church became dangerous due to foundations and the roof giving way, and was closed for two years for repairs.